Five Year Old Hospitalized After Eating Marijuana Cake for Breakfast

320px-Cannabis_PlantAccording to news outlets, a Georgia woman was arrested last week after her five year old said he ate a marijuana cake for breakfast.

The child was taken to the hospital for treatment following the incident; according to officials, his pulse was measured at over 200 beats per minute.

According to the child’s mother, the cake laced with marijuana was given to her by another person.

Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. We have written before about how children and adults mistake marijuana edibles for traditional candy.

Emergency rooms are seeing more cases of children accidentally ingesting marijuana, and marijuana is increasingly linked with schizophrenia and other mental problems.

Here are just a few examples of emergency situations caused by marijuana:

  1. March, 2015: Four high school students were hospitalized after eating brownies laced with marijuana hash oil. One student was actually found unresponsive in a school bathroom after eating a marijuana-laced brownie.
  2. February, 2015: A 20-month-old Canadian toddler overdosed after eating a marijuana-laced cookie authorities say his father baked. The child survived, but suffered seizures and had to be admitted to a hospital.
  3. December, 2014: A high school teacher in Maryland was hospitalized after a student gave her a brownie containing marijuana.
  4. December, 2014: Two middle school students in Oklahoma were rushed to the hospital after one of them reportedly passed out following marijuana-use at school.
  5. November, 2014: A Connecticut teen was taken to the hospital from school after she started having difficulty breathing following ingestion of a marijuana-laced gummy bear.
  6. June, 2014: According to The Aspen Times, a seven-year-old girl was taken to the hospital after eating marijuana-laced candy her mother brought home from work at an area hotel. The candy was left by a hotel guest–presumably as a tip.
  7. December, 2013: A two-year-old in Colorado overdosed and was hospitalized after eating a cookie laced with marijuana.News outlet indicate the girl found the cookie in the yard of an apartment complex.

You can read more about this latest incident here.

Photo Credit: “Cannabis Plant” by Cannabis Training University – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

CO Sees Spike in Newborns With Marijuana in Their Systems

Medical experts in Pueblo, Colorado, are concerned about the number of newborns they are seeing born with marijuana in their systems, according to The Denver Post.

The Post writes,

The medical director of the newborn intensive care unit at St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center finds that mothers who abhor smoking cigarettes during pregnancy see no harm in smoking a joint.

“What I’m seeing in our nursery is a dramatic increase in babies who test positive for marijuana,” he said.

Local citizens have launched a petition drive to ban recreational marijuana sales throughout Pueblo County, Colorado, as a result.

You can read more here.