Last Friday Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza overturned Amendment 83 to the Arkansas Constitution, which defined marriage in Arkansas as the union of one man to one woman. Something is terribly wrong when a judge can overturn a good law passed by 75% of the people.
Many of you have called our office today, asking us what you can do about this ruling. We have put together a list of seven easy things you and your family can do. Check it out below.
- Ask God to fight for us. Pray that the Arkansas Supreme Court will overturn this ruling and uphold traditional marriage.
- Do not be discouraged. This fight is far from over. The case will be appealed to the Arkansas Supreme Court, and ultimately may go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. We still have major battles ahead of us we can win.
- Make your voice heard to your elected officials. Call your County Clerk, and ask him or her not to issue same-sex marriage licenses while this case is on appeal. Check the phone book or call the county courthouse to get their phone number.
- Make your voice heard in your community. Write a letter to your local newspaper editor expressing your support for traditional marriage.
- Make your voice heard to your friends. Say something to your circle of friends; if you are active on social media, use it to express your view of Judge Piazza’s ruling and your support for real marriage.
- Encourage your pastor to speak up. Encourage your pastor and other church leaders to use this as an opportunity to address your church about God’s view of marriage.
- Empower yourself with knowledge and understanding. Do your own research into what makes marriage and family cornerstones of our society. Keep up with developing news stories about this issue, and stay tuned to Family Council for more important details in the days to come.