Trump Administration Could Soon Roll Out Two New Rules Protecting Kids From Sex-Change Procedures

NPR recently reported that two proposals from the Trump Administration could help protect children from sex-change procedures nationwide.

Written copies of the proposals haven’t been published yet, but NPR says it obtained a draft text of the rules.

One rule would prevent federal Medicaid funds from being used for sex-change procedures on kids. Another rule would block hospitals that perform these procedures from receiving Medicaid or Medicare funding.

The Department of Health and Human Services submitted both proposals to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs for review last summer. The proposed rules have not officially been published yet, but it sounds like both rules generally track with other policies the Trump Administration has implemented.

In January, President Trump issued an executive order prohibiting federal funding from being used for sex-change procedures on kids — including puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and sex-change surgeries.

Medical institutions and facilities who receive federal research or education grants were told to “end the chemical and surgical mutilation of children” immediately, under the order. That order prompted hospitals nationwide to stop performing these procedures on kids.

Earlier this summer, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced a public inquiry into whether U.S. doctors and clinics may have deceived parents and children about the risks of these procedures. The U.S. Department of Justice also subpoenaed doctors and medical facilities involved in performing sex-change procedures on minors.

In September, the U.S. Department of Justice sent Congress the federal Victims of Chemical or Surgical Mutilation Act. The proposed federal law would generally prevent doctors, hospitals, and clinics from performing sex-change surgeries on children or giving them puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones.

In recent years, men and women have testified about how they were rushed through gender transitions as children without understanding the procedures’ risks, consequences, or alternatives.

We now know pro-LGBT activists spent years manufacturing much of the medical “consensus” in support of these procedures.

Public health experts in the U.S.the U.K.SwedenFinland, and other nations have found that science simply does not support giving puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to kids.

In 2021, lawmakers in Arkansas passed the Save Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act generally prohibiting doctors from performing sex-change procedures on children or giving them puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones. A federal court recently upheld the law — which is good news.

We must do more to protect children from these dangerous procedures nationwide. We appreciate the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services working on federal rules to help do exactly that.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.

Medical Expert Urges CDC to Acknowledge Gender Detransitioners

Earlier this month, a medical expert urged the Centers for Disease Control to update its medical codes to acknowledge gender detransitioners.

The CDC’s current medical diagnostic code system only includes a code for “personal history of sex reassignment.” That makes it possible to collect data on the number of people who have undergone sex-change procedures, but it is difficult to know how many of those people later detransitioned.

In recent years, men and women have come forward with chilling testimony about how they were rushed through gender transition as children. Since then, many of them have detransitioned and no longer suffer from gender dysphoria.

On September 10, Do No Harm’s Medical Director Dr. Kurt Miceli gave a presentation at the CDC’s semiannual conference urging the CDC to establish diagnosis codes for detransitioners as well.

These diagnostic codes would help medical experts track how many people detransition after undergoing sex-change procedures, and they could shed light on the long-term consequences of sex-reassignment surgery.

Do No Harm made headlines last year with its “Stop The Harm” report analyzing gender transition data from across the country. The report used data from commercial insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and VA claims to determine how many children in America have been subjected to sex-change procedures.

Do No Harm’s data for Arkansas reveals that from 2019 to 2023, 41 children were treated as “sex-change patients” in the state.

Of those children, the report found three underwent sex-change surgeries at UAMS. Another 38 received puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones from various facilities across the state.

The report also reveals that from 2019 to 2023, doctors and hospitals in Arkansas wrote 234 prescriptions for children to be given puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones.

Right now, Family Council is not aware of any public health data showing how many of these children have detransitioned.

In 2021, Arkansas passed the Save Adolescents From Experimentation (SAFE) Act prohibiting doctors from performing sex-change surgeries on children or giving them puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones. The SAFE Act was the first law of its kind in America. This good law spent four years tied up in federal court, but the Eighth Circuit finally upheld it as constitutional in August. Today the SAFE Act is in full effect and protecting children in Arkansas. That’s something to celebrate.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.

HHS Could Soon Cut Funding for Facilities That Perform Sex-Change Procedures on Kids

A federal rule change that could help protect children from sex-change procedures is pending review before being officially published.

On August 7, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services submitted the proposal “Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Hospital Condition of Participation: Limiting Participation Based on the Performance of Sex Trait Modification Procedures on Children” for official review. The Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs has scheduled a meeting to review the proposal on Tuesday.

A written copy of the proposal hasn’t been published yet, but news outlets report that sources say the federal rule would “effectively end” sex-change procedures performed on children. Concerned Women for America says the rule is expected to “defund all ‘gender-affirming’ drugs and surgeries from Medicaid.”

In January, President Trump issued an executive order prohibiting federal funding from being used for sex-change procedures on kids — including puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and sex-change surgeries.

Medical institutions, and facilities who receive federal research or education grants must “end the chemical and surgical mutilation of children” immediately, under the order.

Earlier this summer, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced a public inquiry into whether U.S. doctors and clinics may have deceived parents and children about the risks of these procedures, and the U.S. Department of Justice issued subpoenas to doctors and medical facilities involved in performing sex-change procedures on minors.

In recent years, men and women have testified about how they were rushed through gender-transitions as children without understanding the procedures’ risks, consequences, or alternatives.

Today we know pro-LGBT activists manufactured much of the medical “consensus” in support of these procedures. Public health experts in the U.S.the U.K.SwedenFinland, and other nations have found that science simply does not support giving puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to kids.

In 2021, lawmakers in Arkansas passed the Save Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act generally prohibiting doctors from performing sex-change procedures on children or giving them puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones. A federal court recently upheld the law — which is good news.

Additional steps must be taken to protect children from these dangerous procedures nationwide. We appreciate the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services working on rules to help do exactly that.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.