Federal Court Rules Indiana Can Protect Children from Sex-Change Procedures

Last week the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling effectively letting the State of Indiana protect children from sex-change procedures.

Joshua Arnold with The Washington Stand reports,

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit upheld an Indiana law protecting minors from gender transition procedures last Wednesday. The appellate court had stayed a preliminary injunction that blocked all of the law except its prohibition on gender transition surgeries in a simple order on February 27, allowing the law to take effect. Wednesday’s ruling (K.C. v. Medical Licensing Board of Indiana) included a 50-page opinion for why the court reversed the lower court ruling, vacated the preliminary injunction, and remanded the lawsuit back to the district court.

In response to the ruling, Alliance Defending Freedom Senior Counsel and Vice President of Litigation Strategy and Center for Conscience Initiatives Jonathan Scruggs said,

“Indiana rightly enacted a law that protects the health and welfare of all children—supporting their natural biological development and ensuring that children experiencing gender dysphoria have a chance for comprehensive healing and compassionate mental health support. Relying on bad science, activists and the Biden-Harris administration have pushed these harmful procedures across the country and even taken steps to prevent state legislatures from regulating these procedures. These procedures have devastated countless lives, which is why countries that were previously leaders in so-called ‘gender affirming’ care are reversing course and curtailing these experimental efforts to alter children’s bodies. The 7th Circuit was on solid ground to uphold Indiana’s law that allows children to receive the help they need—safely.”

ADF filed a friend-of-the-court brief last year asking the court to let Indiana’s law to go into effect.

This is a significant victory.

Sex-change surgeries and similar procedures can leave children sterilized and scarred for life.

Doctors do not know the long term effects that puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones might have on people, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration was prompted to add a warning label to puberty blockers after discovering they caused some biological girls to experience brain swelling.

Three years ago a major hospital in Sweden announced that it would no longer give puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to kids. This year the United Kingdom announced a new policy protecting children from puberty-blocking drugs.

In 2021 the Arkansas Legislature overwhelmingly passed the Save Adolescents From Experimentation (SAFE) Act — a law very similar to Indiana’s. The SAFE Act is a good law that protects children in Arkansas from cross-sex hormones, puberty blockers, and sex-reassignment surgeries.

Unfortunately, the SAFE Act has been blocked in court since 2021.

It’s good to see federal courts let Indiana protect children. We believe our federal courts ultimately will recognize that Arkansas’ SAFE act is a good law and uphold it as constitutional.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.

Updated: Report Shows Hospitals in Arkansas Performed Sex-Change Procedures on Children

A report from the group Do No Harm shows hospitals in Arkansas have performed sex-change procedures or prescribed puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to dozens of children.

Do No Harm’s Stop The Harm report analyzes medical data from across the country. The report relied on data collected from commercial insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and VA claims, which Do No Harm says was thoroughly reviewed by medical professionals. The Stop The Harm report made headlines last month after it revealed that some 14,000 minors underwent transgender surgeries, took puberty blockers, or were given cross-sex hormone injections, nationwide between 2019 and 2023.

Do No Harm’s data for Arkansas reveals that from 2019 to 2023, 41 children were treated as “sex-change patients” in the state.

Of those children, data from the report shows three underwent sex-change surgeries at UAMS.

Thirty-eight children received puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones. The report also reveals that from 2019 to 2023, doctors and hospitals in Arkansas wrote 234 prescriptions for children to be given puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones.

Unity Health in Arkansas Does Not Perform Sex-Change Procedures

The Stop The Harm report initially published in October mistakenly indicated Unity Health in Arkansas performed sex-change procedures on children, and Family Council shared this incorrect information in its initial coverage of the report.

Family Council subsequently obtained a statement from Unity Health President and CEO LaDonna Johnston, saying,

The information published by Do No Harm and then re-published by Family Council on November 18, 2024 regarding Unity Health is false and incorrect. Unity Health, an Arkansas nonprofit corporation, operates three general hospitals in Arkansas: Unity Health-White County Medical Center in Searcy, Unity Health-Newport in Newport, and Unity Health-Jacksonville, in Jacksonville. The Unity Health hospitals in Arkansas are not affiliated in any way with other Unity Health organizations that are located outside of Arkansas.

It is not possible for any physician or other practitioner to obtain privileges to perform “sex change” procedures at any of the three Unity Health hospitals, as these procedures are not allowed to be performed at any Unity Health hospital by the Unity Health Board of Directors.

Family Council also reached out to representatives of Do No Harm, who reviewed data from Arkansas for 2019-2023 with their data broker.

Following the review, Do No Harm determined that sex-change procedures performed at a facility in a different state were misattributed to Unity Health in Arkansas. The facilities are not affiliated with one another.

Do No Harm provided Family Council with a statement correcting the mistake, saying,

We would like to thank Unity Health in Arkansas for bringing a data error to our attention. Claims data incorrectly sourced to Unity Health in Arkansas should have been assigned to a Unity in another state. We apologize to Arkansas Unity Health for the error and thank its leaders for bringing it to our attention.

Do No Harm also provided Family Council with copies of the corrected claims data used in preparing the report. Family Council can confirm that Unity Health does not appear in the list of facilities that performed sex-change procedures or prescribed puberty-blockers and cross-sex hormones to children in Arkansas.

Sex-Change Procedures Hurt Children

Medical professionals at UAMS and elsewhere in Arkansas have performed sex-change procedures or prescribed puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to children despite the fact that scientific evidence increasingly shows sex-change procedures hurt kids.

These procedures can leave children sterilized and scarred for life. Doctors do not know the long term effects that puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones might have on people, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration was prompted to add a warning label to puberty blockers after discovering they caused some biological girls to experience brain swelling.

Three years ago a major hospital in Sweden announced that it would no longer give puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to kids. This year the United Kingdom announced a new policy protecting children from puberty-blocking drugs.

In 2021 the Arkansas Legislature overwhelmingly passed the Save Adolescents From Experimentation (SAFE) Act. The SAFE Act is a good law that protects children in Arkansas from cross-sex hormones, puberty blockers, and sex-reassignment surgeries.

Unfortunately, the SAFE Act has been blocked in court since 2021. The data that Do No Harm collected indicates doctors and hospitals in Arkansas performed sex-change procedures and prescribed puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to children before passage of the SAFE Act and during the years that the SAFE Act has been enjoined by the court.

More and more, people understand it’s critical for us to stand up for Arkansas’ children.  Public opinion is shifting on this issue, with more Americans saying that it’s morally wrong to change genders. We believe our federal courts ultimately will recognize that the SAFE act is a good law and uphold it as constitutional.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.

This article has been updated as of November 27, 2024, to reflect that Unity Health in Arkansas does not perform sex-change procedures, and to provide additional statements from Do No Harm clarifying that sex-change procedures performed at a facility outside of Arkansas between 2019 and 2023 were misattributed to Unity Health in Arkansas.

Women’s Volleyball Coach Suspended After Filing Complaint Over Transgender Player

A women’s volleyball coach at San Jose State University (SJSU) reportedly has been suspended after filing a Title IX discrimination complaint regarding a transgender player.

The SJSU women’s volleyball team reportedly includes a male athlete who identifies as female. As a result, several other college volleyball teams have forfeited their matches against SJSU to protect their players and promote fairness in women’s sports.

Focus On The Family’s Daily Citizen reports SJSU coach Melissa Batie-Smoose recently filed a complaint alleging SJSU has shown the transgender player favoritism at the expense of the female athletes on the volleyball team and that the school has created a toxic environment for the other players.

San Jose State University reportedly suspended Coach Batie-Smoose the weekend after she filed the complaint.

We have written time and again about how women’s athletics is at risk of being erased in America.

For example, female cyclists, swimmerspowerlifterssprinters, and others have seen their sports radically changed by men who identify and compete as women.

Letting men compete in women’s sports isn’t just unfair. In some cases, it can even be dangerous.

Fortunately, educators, policymakers, and athletic organizations are taking steps to protect women’s sports.

Last year the North American Grappling Association clarified its competition policy, saying biological males must compete against other men, regardless of their gender identity.

Earlier this year the professional golf league NXXT Golf announced that only biological females would be eligible to participate in the NXXT Women’s Pro Tour.

And the NAIA college athletics association has announced a policy that should prevent male athletes from competing in women’s sports.

Many states — including Arkansas — have enacted laws that preserve fairness in women’s sports.

In 2021 Arkansas passed Act 461 by Sen. Missy Irvin (R — Mountain View) and Rep. Sonia Barker (R — Smackover) preventing male student athletes from competing against girls in women’s athletics at school. This good law protects fairness in women’s sports in Arkansas.

It’s worth point out that public opinion is shifting on this issue, with more Americans agreeing that athletes ought to compete according to their biological sex rather than their gender identity. 

Letting men compete in women’s sports reverses 50 years of advancements for women. Family Council applauds coaches like Melissa Batie-Smoose, policymakers, athletic associations, and others who are willing to stand up for fairness in women’s sports.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.