New public opinion polling confirms what others have found: Americans support restrictions on abortion.
According to a nationwide poll published this week, 78% of Americans support substantial restrictions on abortion despite the fact most people polled (51%) identified as “pro-choice.”
Other findings include:
- 62% of Americans oppose taxpayer funding of abortion.
- 70% of Americans agree doctors performing abortions should have admitting privileges at a local hospital.
- 78% of Americans support holding abortion clinics to the same standards as other outpatient surgery centers.
These findings coincide with other recent polls that have found, among other things, most Americans think abortion ought to be illegal in some or all cases and that young adults generally oppose abortion.
Jerry is the founder and president of Family Council. He began Family Council in 1989 after a successful effort to amend the Arkansas Constitution to prevent the use of public funds for abortions. He and his wife reside in Little Rock. They have four sons.
- Why the Sudden Attack on the Hyde Amendment? | Family Council - […] It’s important to point out that recent public opinion polling shows most Americans think abortion ought to be illegal in…
- NARAL President Shares Abortion Story to Cheering Crowd | Family Council - […] one hand, most Americans believe abortion ought to be illegal in some or all circumstances and that taxpayer funds…