According to news outlets, in September a four-year-old Las Vegas child nearly died after ingesting marijuana edibles.

The child’s parents drove the child to a nearby hospital, but the situation was serious enough that the child had to be transported by ambulance to a different hospital for treatment.

Unfortunately, stories like these are all too common.

We have heard time and again about children who have overdosed on marijuana edibles after mistaking the drugs for ordinary food or candy.

Recently we also learned of an Indiana teenager who died from smoking marijuana.

Marijuana has claimed the lives of many drivers in states like California and Colorado.

And in August the U.S. Surgeon General warned Americans that marijuana isn’t safe for adolescents.

Stories like these underscore what we have said for years: Marijuana may be many things, but “harmless” simply is not one of them.