Abortion not only takes the life of a baby; it can negatively impact the life of the mother.
The Elliot Institute is a nonprofit organization that studies the effects abortion has on women. These are some of the repercussion of abortion indicated by their research:
- 31% of women having abortions report suffering physical health complications;
- 10% of women having abortions suffer immediate, potentially life-threatening complications;
- Women have a 65% higher risk of clinical depression following abortion vs. childbirth;
- 65% of women suffer symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) after abortion;
- Women’s death rates from various causes after abortion are 3.5 times higher than after giving birth ;
- Many women describe their experience as ‘a nightmare,’ which can hardly be equated with ‘choice;’
- 60% of women surveyed after abortion responded that, ‘Part of me died;’
- Suicide rates among women who have abortions are six times higher than those who give birth;
- Abortion increases a woman’s risk of future miscarriages by 60%.
Jerry is the founder and president of Family Council. He began Family Council in 1989 after a successful effort to amend the Arkansas Constitution to prevent the use of public funds for abortions. He and his wife reside in Little Rock. They have four sons.