A federal trial got underway last week in Oakland, California, over claims that social media platforms harmed children’s mental health and illegally tracked kids under 13.

The U.S. Surgeon General says 95% of American teenagers use social media, and about one-third say they use it “almost constantly.” But federal lawsuits have raised concerns about the harm that Big Tech can do to kids.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that jury selection began last Wednesday in a landmark case against social media giant Meta — the parent company of Facebook and Instagram.

The lawsuit claims Meta routinely collected data on children under 13 without parental consent, in violation of federal law. It also alleges the company knowingly designed its platforms to addict young users and hid what it knew about the harm its platforms caused.

Opening statements are set for this week. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Instagram chief Adam Mosseri are both expected to testify.

The trial is part of an avalanche of lawsuits Meta currently faces in state and federal court.

In 2023, Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin sued Meta in state court for endangering children. In the lawsuit, his office alleged that platforms like Facebook and Instagram are built around algorithms intentionally designed “to exploit human psychology and foster addiction to maximize users’ screen time.” The A.G. says this exploitation is especially harmful for young users with developing brains. The lawsuit is still ongoing.

Time and again, we have seen examples of just how harmful tech platforms can be — especially for children.

Courts in New Mexico and California have already found Meta liable for harming children on its platforms.

Social media giant TikTok has found itself embroiled in controversies over its failure to protect private user data from entities in China — including the Chinese Communist Party. The platform also has been accused of serving users a steady “diet of darkness” and violating laws intended to protect children online.

Late last year, Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach sent a strongly worded letter to major AI developers, calling for real safeguards that protect kids. In a statement, Kobach highlighted a Topeka case in which a sexual predator used AI to create thousands of images depicting child abuse.

It’s worth pointing out that adults and teens are beginning to understand users need protection on social media and other tech platforms.

recent survey from the Pew Research Center revealed most adults support banning children under 16 from using social media altogether, and polling shows most teens worry that someone could use AI to generate inappropriate images of them.

Tech platforms are multibillion-dollar businesses that profit from users’ attention and emotions. The adults who own and profit from these businesses have a responsibility to protect their users — especially teenagers.

Children deserve proactive protection online. The Arkansas Legislature and Arkansas Attorney General’s office have worked hard to give children that kind of protection. Our federal courts need to do their part as well.

Articles appearing on this website are written with the aid of Family Council’s researchers and writers.